Simi Valley, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: Im out on bail on a new case in Ventura county.

I have to go do a violation on my probation because I violated it. Can I get out on bail

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jimmy Cha
Jimmy Cha
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fullerton, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you are sentenced to jail on a probation violation, you cannot get out on bail. Bail is for when you are fighting your case. Once you are sentenced, you cannot bail out to stay out.

For example, if you are out on bail on a probation violation, and the judge sentences you to 90 days for violating that probation, then you will have to serve your time. You cannot bail out on a jail sentence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.