Hampton, NH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New Hampshire

Q: My childrens father moved out of NH to GA and left me with the children how long before I can go for full custody.

We were never married never been to court.I’ve always been the primary provider for the children.He rarely reaches out to them since he’s been gone and isn’t providing any type of support.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew D. Minuti
Matthew D. Minuti
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Auburn, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: Assuming NH is the home state of you and the children, you don't need to wait! You would be filing a parenting petition seeking sole decision-making responsibility and residential responsibility for the children. Because the children are exclusively your responsibility, you may also want to consider requesting child support at the same time!

Since the father lives out of state, having him served with formal notice is more complicated than if he were in NH and will depend on details such whether his current address is known and whether he visits NH, and is probably best discussed with an attorney to determine the best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.