Kunkletown, PA asked in Estate Planning for Pennsylvania

Q: Sole heir to my dads estate in PA. Sold the house & going to pay the inheritance taxes. How much more needs to be done?

What else needs to be done before I can get the left over money in the account?

Edited: to say their was no will. But yes it was posted in the paper and 1 other place by my lawyer. About 2 months ago

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
  • Boyertown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Assuming you opened a probate case and got the will admitted, PA law requires you to post notice of the estate opening in a newspaper in the county "of general circulation". Creditors of the estate have one year from the date of first publication within which to make a claim against the estate.

If you, as executor, distribute estate assets prior to the expiration of one year, and that results in insufficient funds to pay all claimants, you will be personally liable to pay those claims. Of course, it is strongly recommended that you wait for the expiration of the one year period before emptying out the estate funds.

You must also file an "accounting", periodically, with the court, and certainly at the end of the probate case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.