Columbia City, IN asked in Collections for Michigan

Q: Can a medical debt that was sent to collections in error be reversed?

Our adult son has a medical bill that was put on hold until a discount was discussed. He is self-pay. He never received a call from the person to negotiate and the bill was sent to collections.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Southfield, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I assume a debt collector has called you or sent you a dunning letter. If you received a letter, I suggest you dispute that letter in writing. Send a dispute letter by certified mail to the debt collector with as much detail as possible.

Keep in mind the time period before unpaid medical debts in collections will appear on a credit report will increase from 6 months to 1 year. So you have to time to resolve this before it damages your son's credit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.