Asked in Divorce for Oklahoma

Q: What is the proper procedure for changing my last name to something different after divorce?

When I got married, I planned on changing my last name to my husband's, even signing my name as such on the marriage license immediately after the wedding ceremony. But things were off to such a horrible start that I was already considering annulling the marriage within a week after getting married (won't go into details). So, I kept putting off changing my last name on various legal documents, including my driver's license and social security card because I didn't want to put in all that time and money when I possibly could have ended up divorced so soon. I am now getting divorced, but don't want to be stuck with my maiden name after the divorce because it causes me so much embarrassment. What I'm needing to know is, how does it work during the divorce process to request to have a last name other than my maiden name or that of a family member?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Evan Humphreys
Evan Humphreys
  • Guymon, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: The law allows you to go back to any former name when the divorce is granted. So if you have a previous married name, you can return to that name. If you have no former name other than your maiden name, you can still change your name to anything by filing a name change case. Basically, you say under oath that you aren’t changing your name for an illegal or fraudulent purpose and you publish notice of the name change in the newspaper. You can find a name change form with instructions here:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.