Asked in DUI / DWI for Hawaii

Q: I was charged with a DUI but the case was dismissed. Can’t the court just call the DMV to get driverslicense reinstated?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Haiku, HI
  • Licensed in Hawaii

A: If you were arrested for Operating a Vehicle Under the Influence of an Intoxicant in Hawaii, you are not only subject to the criminal charge in District Court, but Administrative Driver’s License Revocation Office proceedings as well. As such, even if the criminal case in court is dismissed, your license can remain suspended or revoked by the ADLRO. This is a common misunderstanding by the public, compounded by the fact that the Hawaii Office of the Public Defender can only represent someone for the criminal charge, and not the ADLRO matter.

If you are uncertain about the status of your license, you should check online via eCourt Kōkua, or, contact the ADLRO directly at (808)534-6800.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.