Asbury Park, NJ asked in Child Custody for New Jersey

Q: If I went to NH and filed for a petition and granted custody of my granddaughter due to being left alone for days and

And the mom is using drugs and threatening to Jill themselves and very abusive verbally to the 14 year old. What does the Mom have to do to get the child back. And what do I have to do to keep her since she is the one that called me and said she wasn’t safe

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Im not sure what the term "NH" refers to but presuming you are referring to the Department of Child Protection and Permanency ( DCPP), you can contact them to express your fears about your grandchildren's care and provide the investigator with whatever proof you have as to the drug use and the threats and offer to act as guardian for the children while the claims are being investigated. And, presuming that your claims are correct and the children are in danger, you can ask to be designated as the guardian for the children on an interim and potentially a permanent basis. I would make sure that I had my proofs in hand before reaching out to the department since I presume that the mother will deny, deny and deny the allegations and unless the department has specific proofs to work off of, it will be very difficult for the department to take action against her. If you have text messages or voice mail from the mother plan to provide copies of that material to the investigators.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.