South Jordan, UT asked in Traffic Tickets for Utah

Q: Is a traffic plea in abeyance in one city jurisdiction voided by a citation in another city jurisdiction?

My son received a speeding ticket in one city and entered in a 6 mo. plea and abeyance. A month later he received a speeding ticket in a different city. Will the second ticket void the first plea and abeyance or is it held separate by jurisdiction?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Melton
William Melton
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Taylorsville, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Most likely yes. Any moving violation is likely a violation of the plea agreement, even if it occurred in another state. The question is whether or not the prosecutor discovers it. Typically they do, but I have seen cases where they don't see them if the case has not been resolved yet. It may be worth trying to delay resolving the second ticket until after the six month period. Odds are your son is going to end up with both tickets on his record though.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.