Union City, NJ asked in Child Support for New Jersey

Q: Will child support take all my money they froze my account. Is it to late to set up a payment arrangement

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The short answer is - it depends. If you have been in regular contact with your probation department rep about your fiancial setting and responsive to his / her calls about your employment setting, then I am sure that the rep will be more willing to work with you on a payment plan. If you have been ducking their calls and not responsive to their letters and it turns out that you have money in your account when you claimed otherwise, presume that they will be less inclined to want to work with you.

At this point, I would call the probation department rep assigned to your matter and be prepared to show that you were cooperative, etc and see if there is anything that can be done to not take every penny of the money in the account. Do not lie to the rep about what the money is needed for or how you got it because if the rep thinks that you are lying, you will only dig a deeper hole for yourself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.