Oklahoma City, OK asked in Adoption and Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: Can I undo signing parental rights away a year ago in favor of a step parent adoption if that adoption never took place?

About a year ago, I decided that it was in my daughter's best interest to sign my parental rights away to allow her step dad to adopt her. I did this because we had been dragging out a custody battle for 4 years without ever actually going to court for custody. Every court day was more and more nonsense from my ex to include multiple sexual assault accusations, prior mortgage disputes, and even a vpo against my 4 yo step-daughter. My ex was shut down in court multiple times for these issues as well as substantiated by DHS for child abuse, but never felt any consequence and court never yielded any custody results. To prevent my daughter and the rest of my family from getting drug through more court, investigations, and financial hardship I decided to allow my daughter's step dad to simply adopt her. I believed that he would then be obligated to advocate for my daughter and potentially fight for his own custody if a divorce occurred. As of now, about a year later, still no adoption

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Your case has specific details that will be best suited with an attorney rather than this forum. Most will give a free phone consultation. I suggest you contact one sooner rather than later so that you can insure your rights if they in fact still remain intact.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.