San Francisco, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: My landlord blocked access to my apt I pay rent to

This is not ok I pay my rent every month and I am not the only tenant this has happened to in my building. They turned off my keyfob because I had my boyfriend bring up groceries when I was sick

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Newport Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Very sorry to hear about this. You need to contact a local attorney about this and start a small claims action to recover rents paid and for "forceable detainer" which is when a LL evicts without legal process. You are entitled to a number of damages, value of property left in the apartment, rent for new apartment over what old apartment was, emotional distress damages, attorney's fees (but not in small claims). Consult a local tenant rights attorney for representation. Could be worth some money if handled propertly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.