Destin, FL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Florida

Q: Does my boyfriend have a legal right to keep my baby from me?

I’m 17. My boyfriend was in the delivery room and signed the birth certificate. No other paternity has been established and no court filings as of yet. Since we aren’t together at this time, I have been taking the baby to him while I go to work. Lately he has been refusing to give me my baby when I go to pick him up after work. Does he have a right to do this? I’ve called police and they do nothing

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Legally, you as the mother have 100% custody rights to the child, unless and until the father goes to court to establish paternity. You also have the option of going to court to establish paternity. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.