Costa Mesa, CA asked in Small Claims and Bankruptcy for California

Q: I have to clear two expired; unsatisfied judgments. To negotiate a settlement, what type of lawyer do I need for this

I am pursuing a California professional state license that requires a credit check and might need to clear up some old judgments from 10 and 14 years ago. I can pay the amounts originally owed, but adding on the interest pushes beyond what I can afford. Is it possible to make this type of deal with the creditors (past landlords) ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leon Bayer
Leon Bayer
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Long Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: A bankruptcy lawyer should be able to provide you with legal advice and representation for this matter. In fact, both of those judgments may have expired and become unenforceable due to the passage of time, unless they were timely renewed.

Scott Richard Kaufman agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.