Mansfield, OH asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: When can a parents rights be terminated, so the other party can adopt a non bio child in the state of ohio ?

Ive had custody of a child for 13 months, -temp custody for 18 months, and have taken care of her since 2018. her father has history of substance abuse and domestic violence, cannot see child for 4.5 years. mother same problem, but currently incarcerated, felonious assault was her charge. Both of neglected this child. Grandmothers cannot care for the child, as one is too old and sick, the other was neglecting her needs, and allowed her to be sexually molested by her grandson. This child needs to move on with her life, and stop being hurt by those who have promised to protect her. I have provided for her, and taken on her, I am not related to her at all. I was granted legal custody march 2021. I am happy be here for her. Thank you. ---s.m.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Delaware, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The laws relating to adoption are found in Chapter 3107 of the Ohio Revised Code. Legal steps for completing adoptions are to complete a Petition for Adoption in the county Probate Court, hold a Hearing on the Adoption (must have required consents and/or service on parents), a home study must be conducted as well as a background check, and the court must grant a Decree of Adoption for it it to be final. The county probate courts have further information and court forms available on their websites. It is always best to retain the advice and counsel of an attorney for any adoption to ensure the process is completed correctly and that the parental rights are fully terminated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.