Port Saint Lucie, FL asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Health Care Law for Florida

Q: Can ex claim son for medicaid benefits if he legally has no parental rights(never married) & son lives with mom 85%?

Parents never married. Father never petitioned the state for rights in either Ohio or Florida. No legal arrangement just verbal until March of 2022 when mother started a custody case. He is claiming since October of 2020 that son resides with father and has actively Maintained medicaid benefits for son ( maybe food stamps as well ) and did not tell mother even knowing son would have a lapse in coverage due to mother changing jobs. Did he commit fraud and is there legal action mother can take?

1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: This is an issue between you and the medicaid system. Look for a consultation with a lawyer that specializes in government benefits.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.