Gulfport, MS asked in Estate Planning for Mississippi

Q: My grandmother passed away and left her vehicle to me.. How long do I wait to take possession of it?

All family involved, signed the will as requested.

Now, according to my sister (executor), I cannot take possession of the vehicle until one year from the date of the judges signature. I understood it as I could not obtain the title until a year later but I could take the vehicle. What is the correct

answer? Thank you!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: The estate must go through probate, which should be 4-6 months, depending on how quick the executor and attorney work. Once the Judge signs the Order closing the probate and transferring the property, you can take possession immediately. If you are a minor or without a driver’s license, the process may be a bit more complicated. However, in Mississippi, there is no requirement that the property be withheld from the new owner for one year from the date the Judge signs the Order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.