Grand Blanc, MI asked in Small Claims and Contracts for Michigan

Q: Can I sue someone for not paying their rental fees in a rental that’s in my name?

I rented a rental car out in my name for someone that rental car was impounded now the driver won’t respond and I’m getting hit with all the rental fees would I be able to sue him

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: As a practical matter, you are dealing with someone who somehow got that rental car impounded...doesn't sound like a good risk to sign for anything.

You can sue whomever you like; but it doesn't sound like this person cares much about responsibility or likely what a judge says.

Your challenge is that 1) you had no legal authority to rent that car out, and 2) you probably don't have anything in writing and signed by this person that says they will pay you anything. The first is a pretty big legal issue for you to overcome if you want to successfully sue. The lack of anything in writing, like any contract, almost worth the paper it's printed on.

Your name is on the rental car contract and so as to the rental car agency, you, and only you, are responsible for that car. Your best bet now is to do whatever you can to get that car out of impound and back to the rental car company instead of worrying about getting your money from this person.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.