Q: Mother was in hospital then moved to a rehab facility. When D/C'd home, had unstageable pressure ulcer w/ necrosis...

and bone exposure. She had L4 Laminectomy at this time. Surgeon's Post-op notes states she had purposeful movement in ALL 4 extremities but came home as paraplegic w/ incontinence bowel/bladder, and sacral wound as described above. Mom lived alone previously. I work full-time as a nurse and now i have mom living w/ me requiring TOTAL care. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Alabama attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry you are in this very difficult position. This is not a question that can be answered in the brief format of this Q & A Forum. It is a complex matter, and your post raises multiple issues. In terms of the most pressing issue of your mother's care, that could depend on her financial position and eligibility for public programs. A social worker from the facility could get you pointed in the right direction there to start things off. Also reach out to public agencies for information and/or assistance there. In terms of the other issue as to how a woman with mobility could wind up paraplegic, if you suspect that it is due to a medical error or breach of medical standard of care, you could reach out to med mal law firms in Alabama. You could search on your own or use the Find-a-Lawyer tab above. I hope you are able to find the necessary home care or resident care resources to deal with this difficult situation. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.