Charlotte, NC asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Florida

Q: How do I go about custody case if I relocated to another state and my son lives between states? My case is in FL.

My son was born in NC. His dad moved here for a yr. Didn’t like it, came to FL stayed for 5 months and I left. We came up with an agreement in regards to our son, got the document notarized so we didn’t have to go through the courts upon my departure but, he went behind my back files for custody anyway. I would like to to does FL have jurisdiction or NC? Does FL have a binding law/agreement when it comes to situations such as this one? What are my right?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Jurisdiction is where the child has lived for the past six months. If you have a written agreement with the other parent you can use it as evidence in any jurisdiction. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.