Norwich, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: She used an old warrant of eviction that was granted before she accepted the erap. We never went back to court

We owed rent and then went to court last october.that amount has since been paid by the erap.she had me served with the old warrant of eviction even after she got the money from the erap program,we never went back to court for anything owed that wasnt covered by basically what we went to court for she was paid off by the erap.and now landlord used a warrant of eviction from that old court date to get us out.i know what shes doing is illegal and i just need to know what i have to file in a court so im not going without a home.she wants to sell the building and is being evil about getting me out .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Generally, you may file for an Order to Show Cause ("OSC") seeking to stay the eviction and vacate the prior judgment in the court that issued the judgment and warran.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.