Henderson, NV asked in Personal Injury and Landlord - Tenant for Nevada

Q: can i sue for not having hot water or heat for 5 months from a gas leak in my apartment? plus more

Please let me explain. I have lived in this apartment in Henderson, NV for a year now. Approx 10 months ago I was having breathing problems (only inside the apartment) and documented it. 5 months ago I figured out there was a natural gas leak and the gas company shut the gas off at that time. The water heater runs on gas, which also heats the place through the central air. I've been without hot water and heat for 5 months now. Today, april 27th, is the first day the front office gave me a key to the model unit so i could take a hot shower. My hvac unit is 20 years old and has mold in it, it broke down and took them 8 days to fix it. They dropped the hvac motor on the copper pipes and coils which has caused a small freon gas leak, I can smell it (it's still leaking). The front office won't test for a freon leak. my doctor prescribed me an inhaler, i have no history of breathing issues. the maintances guys replaced the water heater and every single part in the HVAC unit without permits

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Nevada attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Your question straddles two separate categories and I could only speak about the personal injury aspects. You mention that your breathing problems are documented. If you mean by medical records, those could be significant to an attorney who evaluated your situation. I'm sorry for the ordeal these respiratory issues have caused you. Unfortunately, cases involving mold and related issues tend to be difficult, and some law firms are reluctant to handle them. But that's only a generality. The most reliable means of assessing your situation could be to reach out to Nevada attorneys to discuss in greater detail, with all your records. As far as the habitability/lease-related issues here, those should be discussed with a landlord-tenant attorney. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.