Houston, TX asked in Landlord - Tenant for Louisiana

Q: Can my landlord keep my security deposit after letting me out of my lease?

Neighbors moved in and made sexual passes at my minor daughters, use my drive way for their drug sales, wall around with guns bigger than me. I spoke with my landlord and he agreed to let Me out of my lease now won't give my deposit back. I owe him no rent and the home is just as I got it

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If you did not fulfill the terms of your lease, then you are subject to forfeiting your deposit. If you and your landlord agreed that you would receive your deposit back, then that may be a different scenario.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.