Booneville, MS asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Probate for Mississippi

Q: What do I need to do to secure my minor son’s inheritance from his fathers estate, without help from his family?

I have only seen the Will of my son’s late father, who passed in 2021. The will leaves everything to our son. However, his parents took control over his businesses, properties, vehicles, guns, accounts, everything. His father is the executor and has not told me a single thing about what is happening with the state or with my son’s inheritance at all. Should I hire an attorney, is there anything I can do? If so, what can I do to safeguard my son’s inheritance, etc.?

1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: You should file a objection with the Court and inform the Court what is going on. There is no reason for the beneficiary to be homeless if there is a house that has been left to him. You can get a copy of the Will from the courthouse. Go to the Chancery Clerk’s office in the county where your ex lived at the time of his death. Give the Clerk his name, and they will give you copies.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.