Avenel, NJ asked in Divorce for New Jersey

Q: I am thinking about divorce. Should I pay off my $14,000 car loan to reduce the amount of money that will be split?

I live in New Jersey, a equatable distribution state. Married for 5 years. We don't have children or own a house. Our finance were separate for the most part but I do pay most of our bills including rent, utilities and meals, because my spouse works only part time and do not make enough. I know i will end up paying alimony. I do have about $30k savings in the bank, which my spouse made 0 contribution to.

We each have our own car but my car is fairly new and have drastically higher value comparing to my spouse's. I am making monthly loan payments for my car. I did some research and found that generally we get to keep our own cars in divorce in NJ. So the question is, in order to protect myself financially, should I pay off the car loan so there is lower amount of savings that need to be split with my spouse? Or will this cause my car to be subject to split based on value of it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bari Weinberger
Bari Weinberger
  • Parsippany, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Thank you for your question. It is difficult to give you a definitive answer without obtaining additional facts. There are many factors to the equitable distribution statute and without having full financial disclosure, a firm answer is not possible. It would be best to contact an experienced family law attorney to help determine the best financial outcome in your particular circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.