Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New York

Q: I have a question that I’m hoping somebody can answer.

My fiancé wants to sign my sons birth certificate and we’re turning in the acknowledgment papers with his name on it his biological father my son‘s biological father has made it to where he said he wants no parental rights to my son he said when he tried to kill me that it felt good for my son to almost lose his mother. Is it a law that the biological father has to be on the birth certificate if they want no parental rights and they want nothing to do with the child and they try to kill you in front of the other parents

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The answer the asker wants to hear is that her fiance can sign the newborn's birth certificate, and such an answer is certainly possible. The government has no idea whose DNA is in the newborn, and the only record of who the father is can be found in the birth certificate which is always self-reported. "Self-reported" means that the mother and the man both showed that the two are the child's natural parents.

However, asking us for legal advice as to how to defraud the system is a bad idea. We cannot advise the asker to go ahead with her plan. The record of the child's birth must be accurate according to the knowledge and belief of the parents so that the child eventually will come to know who his lineage extends to. Whether the actual father threatens the mother or not is irrelevant. Accuracy is relevant.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.