Georgetown, CA asked in Civil Litigation for California

Q: I was served summons on civil suit but plaintiff has amended complaint

I have not been served the amended complaint so do I respond to original complaint or amended complaint which I downloaded from court website?

Do I get more time to respond?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dan Rowan Cortright
Dan Rowan Cortright
  • Rohnert Park, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You have 30 days (if served by hand) to respond to the complaint. If an amended complaint was filed, you have 30 days from the date of service of that document. But if no amended complaint was served on you yet, you can always call/email the attorney for plaintiff and ask for service of the amended complaint so you know the exact date your answer is due. The time for you to answer the amended complaint does not start to run until you are served with the amended complaint.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.