Houston, TX asked in Estate Planning for Texas

Q: How do I give him my home without any future risks? Like, he dies and wife inherits. Co-owner? How to add to him deed?

I'm trying to figure out what the best option is. My son and his wife will make the many costly repairs needed on my home and pay the $25,000 worth of back taxes on it. Is there a way that my son can be part owner before my death, without complications? Or must the deed be done now & state his ownership for later? I don't want anyone to be able to sell, rent, or make me move.

Thanks SO much!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: There are a few tools that can be used to help achive your goal of transferring the property to your son, while protecting it from the risk of a bad marriage or divorce later.

It would not cost much but there are special deeds, including a Life Estate, that can do what you want.

That is how I earn a living.

See a good property lawyer and they should be able to help you. It should be quick and easy and cost less than $2000.00.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.