Dallas, TX asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: My little brother is currently in my elderly, disabled Grandmas custody. She wants me to take him. Will it be difficult?

My birth mother passed away last year leaving behind my little brother. He was left in the care of our grandmother who is old and sick. She called me up and asked if my husband and I would be willing to take him. I’m happy to take him but there is a problem that might affect the court allowing it. My husband is Mexican and I want to apply for my children and I to become duel citizens. After We get custody of him we would like to apply for him too. But that requires us to move to Mexico shortly after, and remain in the country for some time. We will be living a few hours south of Cancun near a famous tourist destination in a private family ranch with plenty of children (It’s a nice place). I’m worried the courts will refuse me custody to prevent him from moving out of country.

1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Will it be difficult? It may not be, however more information is needed on this, including the involvement of your little brother's father who usually would have a say in custody decisions. That said, I highly recommend that you (and your grandmother) seek a consultation with a family/custody lawyer in the area where your brother currently lives and at that consultation said lawyer should be able to ask all of the questions and obtain the information from you need to provide a more accurate assessment of this.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.