Oklahoma City, OK asked in Animal / Dog Law and Divorce for Oklahoma

Q: What if my spouse refuses to return my dog during separation period before divorce?

Wife has refused ownership of the dog several times due to quality of life at apartment. I’ve offered to pay for everything. He has lived with me for the entire separation period. He was my bestfriend while I was in the army. Now she is only keeping him from me to hurt me. But she has him listed in the divorce decree now. Is there anything I can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anna L Self
Anna L Self
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: You don't say how the dog is listed in the divorce decree. If the decree says she gets the dog and it has not been signed by the Judge - don't sign the decree. If the decree says she gets the dog and the Judge has signed the decree then the decree is enforceable. Dogs are considered personal property in Oklahoma just like vehicles, furniture, etc. So the decree controls who gets the dog.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.