Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for New York

Q: hi, my name is ivan, can the court decision from country Georgia be effective in New York on child visitation?

I am not married to my son's mother and I am not listed as a father on my son's childbirth certificate.

I filed in family court in NYC but she took the child overseas to Georgia Tbilisi.

because the pandemic wasn't going anywhere.

I came to Georgia Tbilisi and filed court here. DNA was ordered by the court and it is positive. Before the court could legally make me the father she took the child to NY. when I call her to see or speak to my son she claims I harass her, if I don't call she won't let me see my son.

I have provided support to my son all this time regardless.

after the court ends here I would like to know how can I do visitations? we have no arrangements and she refuses to cooperate.

after I prove im his father in Georgia, do I have to re-file back in NY court for visitations?

I don't mind paying child support however I would prefer if I could open a saving account for my son and transfer that money there for him.

what documents should I bring from Georgia

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The asker should file in New York. An eastern European proceeding will be challenged by the mother as having been created of fraud. That gives an American court an easy out not to enforce the foreign order and all the proceedings that led up to an order to include a paternity test.

The asker should file for paternity and then file for visitation in New York. Without an attorney, nothing will work well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.