Asked in Domestic Violence for Louisiana

Q: I missed my temporary restraining order hearing yesterday morning. I am the plaintiff. I’m out of city . What next ?

I am not going back. The relationship is over. Do I need to do anything today?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Perhaps it is the lawyer in me, however, if you do not have one representing you, then I highly recommend that you seek a consultation with a lawyer in your area to discuss your situation. At said consultation, the lawyer should should be able to ask all of the questions and obtain the information from you need to provide your a more accurate answer than what we can on this board. That is, depending on things, including whether or not you paid filing fees, your failure to appear might have resulted in the Judge assessing you costs of this matter. A local lawyer can help determine this as well as the likelihood that the Court would seek collection of this sum.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.