Asked in Real Estate Law for Alabama

Q: A title company will not sign off on the sell of our property due to a siblings that has been out of reach for 20 yrs.

yes. Have a will, and in article 3 of the will it gives my brother the title of personal representatives for the estate. It also say that he is free from the control and supervision of the courts to make the decision on the estate. Now the title company says we need to file a sale of division with the court in order to sale the house and the buyer obtain the title to the property. We have everyone listed on the will, and have setup provisions for the sibling that is MIA. The will was never probated because of the clause in the will that stated and I quote: I direct that they shall be free from the control and supervision of any court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Vann Burkett
William Vann Burkett
  • Huntsville, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: The title company may be correct. If the property did not move through probate and the title documents were not handled correctly it is possible that multiple people hold fractional ownership interests. If there is a will or other document that has the power to transfer title or create a form of equitable title, then a sale for division or partition case may solve the issue. As part of that action, a court may quiet title to the property, order the property sold at a private sale, and disburse the proceeds to the rightful owners. The feasibility of a Partition action or Sale for Divison action may depend on your particular circumstances and the documents in question. You should contact an attorney that does real estate litigation for a full evaluation based on your specific case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.