Asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law and Libel & Slander for Nebraska

Q: An abuser deleted my messages to them which shows the truth of lies they are trying to harm me with, what can I do?

The father of my children lies outright and manipulates situations to make him self look perfect, and me like an absolute awful human. He claims, for example, that I manipulated my way onto the house title.. I told him I could prove that wasn't true with our messages. The next morning, I discovered he had deleted all of our messages from my account. This has psychologically stressed me out, because in 5 years of messages, there was so much evidence of abuse and protection for myself from lies like this. He implies he intends to "bury" me. I am stressed beyond belief and feel entirely vulnerable. I can't recover the messages with a recovery program or facebook, where they were sent through. He laughed at me and told he "you'd like that, wouldn't you?" when I told him it's unjust for him to have a copy and me not and requested he delete his too if it was like that. It feels like torture to have lost everything while someone continuously threatens me. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: Depending on how the messages were sent, there may still be a way to recover these. This could be something more complicated such as a subpoena or more simple such as your phone records or looking in your archived messages. Many cell phone providers do store text messages with your monthly bill for at least a short period of time. You generally need to act quickly to recover lost messages as the provider generally only stores these for a short period of time.

If you are in an unsafe situation, you need to get you and your children to a safe situation. That is the first priority. A custody case or protection order may also help provide you some protection. Keep in mind that the longer you stay in a home that you feel is unsafe for you and your children, the harder it may become to convince the Court that you felt unsafe while there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.