Jersey City, NJ asked in Employment Law for New Jersey

Q: Fired due to coworker false accusations I wasn't allowed to have a meeting with coworker and boss to clear fabrications

My employer wrote me up then fired me due to coworker making up complete lies to cover up her lack of working.i I finally askedmy director can we all speak together so Ivan hear it directly to me not about me hearsay she said no I don't like confrontations. I stated thati should be allowed to address my accuser to clear my name or State my truth. She said no and couldn't wouldn't give clear direct examples or provable situations. I pleaded to see the proof so I could make sure it was me who labeled a specimen wrong as accused she refused. I asked why am I not allowed to confront my accuser to resolve this and She again said no. They the boss and coworker are good friends...i said to my boss that I felt she was biased and was automatically making me guilty and wrong without proof or internal resolution to a clear problem between I and the constant troublemaker. I Was fired then.. Shouldn't my boss have at least allowed a meeting with me and my accuser for fairness to both parties?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paula M. Dillon
Paula M. Dillon
  • Hackensack, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Your employer does not necessarily have to hear your version. Are you a union member? If so, you can file a grievance. Have you experienced discrimination or complained of discrimination/illegal activity in the workplace? Could this be the real reason for the termination?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.