Williamsport, PA asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: How long does the court system have to bring you to court and sentence you for a criminal matter for 2019

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly Jurs
Kelly Jurs
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • West Chester, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The short answer is, 365 days from the date of the filing of a criminal complaint. However, this does not include what the law describes as "excludable time" which could be time in a diversionary treatment program or continuance requests by defense counsel for investigation and trial preparation. In addition, many of the criminal courts in Pennsylvania experienced a shut down of their trial schedules during COVID which may also count as excludable time. It is important to review any orders handed down in your particular county regarding pauses in the conduct of criminal trials during COVID. If you have not already, you should consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney to address your matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.