Asked in Tax Law for California

Q: Hi, IRS question,


I am getting audited for 2018 for my short-term rental business in California ( LLC ) but all the receipts for the expenses have been stolen with other stuff in one of my apartments by guests during COVID and all the receipts I was gathering are gone. What should I do? How can I back my expenses now? Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rogelio (Rod) B. Tuazon
Rogelio (Rod) B. Tuazon

A: If you paid those expenses using credit/debit cards, you may be able to use your bank statements or credit card statements as proof. If you paid cash, do your best to document your cash payments and explain to the auditor why you are unable to produce the receipts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.