Ponchatoula, LA asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for Louisiana

Q: What paperwork do I need to file if I'm representing myself in a domestic case?

I'm representing myself in a domestic case and I'm unsure of what paperwork I'm supposed to file before my pre motion court date

1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: This is why you should not represent yourself and instead get an attorney. If this is a criminal matter, then you can ask the Judge to appoint an attorney to represent you----the Judge will ask you a series of questions to see if you qualify and if so, he will appoint an attorney. if this is a non-criminal matter, then you are not guaranteed the right to counsel, but you should still seek a lawyer. In answer to the question you posted, more information is needed----for example, from your post, I am not sure if this is a criminal matter or so family court matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.