Charlotte, NC asked in Child Custody, Criminal Law and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: How can cps take your child out of your custody if you signed your rights over to a friend months ago?

I signed over custody of my baby girl to my friend for a year. Somehow she ended up with a broken leg at 3 months old. who I thought was a friend lied about taking my baby to the hospitol I have all text to prove it so how did they areest me for cruelty to a juvenile and now I have cps taking me to trile for this and they took my babygirl from me how is this possible when she was not in my custody how is she being taken from me when I signed my rights over shouldn't they be taking her away from who I thought was a friend?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Hire an juvenile Court attorney to use your one year Custody by Mandate as your defense.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.