Pompano Beach, FL asked in Trademark for Florida

Q: Has this PresScents Trademark been abandoned? If so, what’s the cost to trademark the name with a different logo?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: While it appears that the application was abandoned many years ago, you should have a trademark attorney conduct a search to make sure that a similar trademark was not registered. The USPTO will deny a similar mark if it creates confusion in the marketplace, so it doesn't have to be the exact same mark. Attorneys differ in the fees they charge and the services they offer. The USPTO filing fee is currently $350 per class, and you must register in at least one class. If you contact some different attorneys, you can ask about their fees and their services. Finding an attorney with whom you feel comfortable is important because the trademark process is taking about a year now to complete, and it's not an automatic approval.

Fritz-Howard Raymond Clapp agrees with this answer

Fritz-Howard Raymond Clapp
Fritz-Howard Raymond Clapp
  • Trademarks Lawyer
  • Beverly Hills, CA

A: There was an intent-to-use application to register PRESSCENTS, but it was abandoned in 2001 for failure to file the necessary documents. There does not appear to be a confusingly similar registration, so you would be likely to succeed. It is recommended that you obtain qualified trademark counsel to advise further and file an application.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.