Cincinnati, OH asked in Child Support for Ohio

Q: My employer is taking to much child support out of my paycheck. If they continue do I have a legal option?

I pay child support biweekly. I was on STD and got behind but paid cash to cover the back amount plus the current month to get my balance to $0. My employer continues to take the adjusted amount out of my paycheck even though I have provided documentation that I am not behind on support. I’ve contacted the child support agency and they told me they are unable to do anything and I need to talk to my companies HR. My employer has said they will not make the adjustment unless they receive a court order but my case never went to the courts and I cannot get a court document. They are refusing to make the adjustment and I will not receive an overpayment check until my order is done in 5.5 years. If I talk to them again about adjusting the amount taken out and they refuse do I have any legal grounds to make them stop?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish
  • Delaware, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: In the state of Ohio, Cash payments made directly to a parent instead of the Child Support Enforcement Agency is considered a gift. The parties can file an agreed motion and order to reduce child support by the amount of the cash gift and file it with the court for a judge's signature. The agreed order will need to include a directive for the Child Support Enforcement Agency to reduce the arrearage by the amount dictated in the ordered. The Child Support Enforcement Agency is not obligated to do anything when cash payments are made. Parents can make direct child support payments by phone, in person and online.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.