Detroit, MI asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Michigan

Q: Can I file for child support after 6 years with no visitation rights

My son is 6 I’ve raised him with my family. His father is 100% Absent

I have serious concerns to the point we separated when I found out I was pregnant

Mental wellness

Substance abuse


Lying about sexual abuse

I have a lot of real concerns and I feel this person isn’t mentally fit by any means to supervise a child.

I haven’t filed for child support so he doesn’t get visitation with it. What would happen if I filed and he is a complete stranger at 6 years? I am taunted and threatened by his father, and girlfriends, now wife always going back to him getting full custody and me losing him. I have worked double for 6 years. Can I file for child support and express my concerns like I always have and terminate any visits? I’m the only name on the birth certificate. No paternity test. Do messages over the years telling me they would never help or threatening to take him away from me come into this? Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: First thing is that you would need to establish his paternity. Until then, he is, as you expressed, just a stranger to the child with no legal right whatsoever, except what you've been allowing for.

Think of it this way: if I (a complete stranger on the internet) called you and asked to take your son for the weekend, would you have to let me? NO! That is where the father stands legally today. If he wants visits, and you don't want him to, then that's how it's going to be until he files in court for paternity, and in the process explain to a judge why and where he's been for the last six years.

You can either file a motion, or let things be and wait for him to do it. After six years, I suspect he will be unwilling to file or do anything besides try to intimidate you into giving him what he wants.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.