Folsom, CA asked in Personal Injury and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Can I switch out the locks when my ex-Girlfriend is staying with her new boyfriend and her stuff is still in my place?

This happen about few days ago. I own the house and we lived here for about a year and few months. without going into details, she decided she had enough and end up getting a new boyfriend and is currently staying there. she did commented that she was keeping the key because she needed to come for her own stuff at a later date. the only contribution she made to the household was food and a utility bill. Am i able to change the locks for safety concerns.

Even though it is seems she is choosing to move on her own, is it still wise to give her an eviction notice?

Thank you

updated: because i dont know if i can reply to the question been asked.

Yes i am still living in the hosue

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Contact a local Unlawful Defense atty.

I fear you will have to give her a 3 day notice and serve her.

Are you still living in the house too.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.