Elmira, NY asked in Child Custody for New York

Q: I was not aware that I had a custody case order in effect from 2014. Neither of us went to court thought it was closed

I was not aware I needed court permission to move. My ex was okay with the move for the first 6 months of relocation. He was the one who funded and moved our belongings, he was my reference for the new apartment, he paid the rent as part of the child support, he was 100% ok with the move. The move never affected his visitation with our son. After nearly 6 months he decided to take my son from me and file a modification stating I took my son and wrongfully moved. What advice can you offer with this situation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sandra M. Colatosti
Sandra M. Colatosti
  • Licensed in New York

A: You should file a modification petition seeking to relocate with your son. I would advise you to speak to an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.