Lakeland, FL asked in Probate for Florida

Q: Hi how can I file a claim in my deceased uncle's name I have no idea where to even start

My uncle passed a few years ago I don't really have a lot of information to give I'm sorry

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Assuming he was a Florida resident, if he was survived by a wife, children (or other descendants), siblings or parents, and if he didn't leave a will, you probably wouldn't inherit anything. Otherwise, you might. If he owned real property, check the appraiser's office in that county to determine if it is still titled in his name.

You can see if a probate petition was filed by checking the website of the clerk of court for the county where he lived.

For more information, you need to speak to an attorney.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.