Sun City, AZ asked in Child Custody for Arizona

Q: How can I obtain visitation rights or joint custody of my brother?

My brother is 14 y M. My mother and her new husband are verbally degrading him on the regular. I don't know that I have any rights as his sister. CPS has had open cases against them but they take my mother's word. She's a great liar.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You certainly can file a Petition for Third-Party Visitation.

You probably cannot file for custody unless you can prove that (1) your brother considers you to be like a mother to him, and (2) it would be significantly detrimental for your brother to be in the care of your mother or any other legal parent he has.

As far as rights go, you are correct. You do not have any rights to your brother. Parents have a Constitutional right to the care, custody, and control of their children. They are the only ones with such rights.

For visitation to protect that right, the Courts are required to give "special weight" to a parent's decision to allow or deny visitation. But even with that law, Courts can, and often do, award visitation against the parent's wishes.

In the event the two parents disagree, their opinions cancel out.

I encourage you to consult with an attorney to discuss further.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.