Atlanta, GA asked in Car Accidents for Georgia

Q: I was rear ended by a speeding car in a neighborhood, when I stopped looked there were no cars put my vehicle in reverse

The car came flying up the rd and hit me my truck haven't even moved I was basically stopped would I be considered at fault

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Blain Morrison
Tristan Blain Morrison
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Alpharetta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Usually when you get hit from behind by a negligent driver ("rear-ended") the police officer will give the other driver a citation (traffic ticket) for violation of OCGA 40-6-49 (which is the "following too closely" law). It's unusual, but not impossible, for you to be found at fault in that situation. If you speak to an attorney and review the police report, you should be able to figure out who is at fault fairly easily, absent weird circumstances. If you have been injured, talk to a lawyer about your rights and the various types of insurance involved. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.