Orlando, FL asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Florida

Q: So I was descriminated against by another employee for my disability, instead of firing her, they moved her to another..

Department. Is there any recourse? On top of being targeted for other mitigating circumstances. Do I have a leg to stand on? Should I file an EEOC complaint or retain an attormey?

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you feel you have been discriminated against by the actions of your employer because of your race, age, gender (including sexual harassment), sexual orientation or national origin, religion or marital status, pregnancy, or because you have a disability or feel you have been retaliated against for speaking out or asserting your legal rights. you should contact the Florida Commission on Human Relations (FCHR) here in Tallahassee. The FCHR's toll-free telephone number is (800) 342 8170, or you can call them at (850) 488 7082. If you do call, ask to speak with an Intake Counselor. You do not need a lawyer but retaining one before you file a charge of discrimination will help get through the bureaucracy.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.