Lithia, FL asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: My parents are divorced and have dual custody over me, can I ask my dad if I could stay with my mom on certain days?

So I’m 16 years old and my parents are divorced with dual custody over me. I stay with my mom one week and same thing goes with my dad. I got hired at a place in my mom’s town, and since my dad lives 45 minutes away from there, I can imagine it’d cause some difficulties for him since I don’t have a drivers license yet and I only have a learners permit that I just got. My dad doesn’t like me staying with my mom (personal issues I’d rather not talk about) and I know for sure if I ask, he’d say no. But I want to avoid any scheduling problems with my job, hence why I want to stay with my mom whenever I’m working.

I’m only really wondering if I ask him, does he really have control over me to not let me stay with my mom whenever I’m with him for that certain duration of the week?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr Eric Klein
Mr Eric Klein
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Boca Raton, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been put in this position by the unfortunate circumstances of divorce. To answer your question, if you ask your dad permission to stay with your mom, he does have control over you as to where you will be staying during his court ordered time. If he says no, the only thing you can do is to ask your mom to go to court to modify the time sharing plan to reflect your work schedule. It is refreshing to hear that a 16 year old has a job and actually is excited to go to work. I've got a feeling you are going to be a very successful adult. I wish you good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.