Allentown, PA asked in Divorce for Pennsylvania

Q: Hello. I married someone from Sweden around 25 years ago. She is from Sweden. She stayed in the US for barely a year

I married my spouse in New York. She is originally from Sweden. She stayed in NY for less than a year and then went back to her country. Haven't heard from her since. There was no drama between us and no malice (as far as I am concerned). I live in Pennsylvania now and ready to move on with my life with someone else. I need to know if a NO-FAULT divorce is better for me or if UNCONTESTED is better. By the way, we have NO KIDS together.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: "Uncontested" is not a type of divorce in PA. There are fault and no-fault divorces. One can become uncontested if the other person doesn't object after having been served the appropriate paperwork. I wonder if you're using online forms provided by an online company for a fee? Often forms obtained from these online companies do not meet the criteria of the county in which the divorce is filed. You might save yourself a lot of trouble by contacting an experienced family law attorney in your area for guidance. Also, remember that you must serve paperwork on your wife in accordance with state service rules. That means you'll need to know her current address. There are alternative means of service but, again, I'd refer you to an attorney to discuss what options are available to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.