Delevan, NY asked in Child Custody and Family Law for New York

Q: Is there any possible way to get away from my mentally and physically abusive mother? she cant support us three kids.

My mother is constantly yelling at us kids. She can not support the three kids she has. My father can support me and those living with him. My mother won't even let me bring him up in a conversation without her getting angry. Please help me. He is trying everything to get me but there's not much he can do being 17 hours away from me. I want to move in with him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sandra M. Colatosti
Sandra M. Colatosti
  • Licensed in New York

A: Your father will need to file a petition with the Family Court in the county in which you live. Your father could contact the court to have them send him the petition or get a copy online at the NY courts website. The Court will give more weight to your desire to live with your father if you are a teenager.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.